Sanctuary’s planning application was approved. The Victoria Forum and other community respondents succeeded in obtaining some concessions including the addition of a small childrens’ play area on site and pedestrian crossings. £700k ‘ENV2’ compensation is to be paid by the developer in installments through the construction phase.
- The Victoria Forum and other community respondents succeeded in obtaining some concessions including the addition of a small childrens’ play area on site and pedestrian crossings.
- Construction will take place over 8 phases, with the last anticipated to be in 2024-25.
- £700k is to be paid by the developer as compensation for failing to meet environmental requirements such as insufficient play space vs guidelines. This money is to be spent in the wider area on environmental and sports facilities. It has not been decided on exactly what the money will be spent. Payments will be around £100k per year.
- There are to be 135 affordable houses on the site – but as yet it is unclear what will be the exact nature of the tenure. For example, ‘mid market rent’ or social housing.
- The developer is required to include some feature(s), such a public art, celebrating or commemorating the historical heritage of the site and the area. £50k has been earmarked by the developer. The community is to be consulted and the Victoria Forum has already engaged with the GCC Heritage Officer.
- There is to be a 1 year public consultation on ideas for traffic and public realm changes round Battlefield Rest, funded in part by the Sustrans charity.
- The working group attended by VF members continues and will attempt to provide community input to the above issues and decisions.
If you would like to know more, or to play a part such as in the consultation on public art – please contact your community council:
- Langside, Battlefield and Camphill: email@example.com
- Mount Florida: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shawlands & Strathbungo: shawlandsandstrathbungoCC@gmail.com
- Pollokshields: email@example.com